My Elephant Friends

My Elephant Friends
Amboseli elephants

Friday, December 24, 2010

And What Would Christ say?

How different the rhythm of life between now and when I started on this adventure ... coming from slow, quiet, reflective, to a low level frenzy, where you are forever moving forward.  Along with this moving forward is the grasping for some happy and beautiful state or condition:  the perfect Christmas dinner for the family (and pray tell, will 4 Pekin ducks be enough, along with the 2 crabs??), the most loving gathering of family members, just the right present for each person (because we mistakenly think that giving presents makes us better and makes everyone immediately happier) ... The list goes on, I'm afraid, but those issues above are plenty.  We are forever pitched forward, reaching for goodness, for freedom from pain which ultimately eludes us.  I made a choice to sit down here in the midst of all this movement, and write what was on my mind.  Ground myself in the workings of heart and mind just now.  I am feeling that old and unwelcome feeling of being in the middle of my two children, trying to make sense out of discord, trying to make peace, so we can have a wonderful Christmas day, damnit!!  I may be the 65 year old matriarch who fancies herself pretty wise in the ways of relatedness, but that certainly doesn't mean that I can heal the wounds of those I love.  We all have that onerous task.  To each his own wounds and "stories" about suffering.  I wonder what Christ would have done when offered such disharmony between those who are close.  What would he say?  What would the Buddha say?  And would they be on the same track?  My guess is:  yes.
These questions point the way to letting go of what is not ours, and offering love and compassion for those who are in distress.  Be the bodhissatva of compassion who can hold "the 10,000 joys and 10,000 sorrows" of the world.....
And I wonder, too, what Christ would say about all this frenzy of grasping at perfection, of things, events, states of mind.  How would he respond to all this grasping which has turned our world in to circus of consumerism?  When I find myself in crowded stores or grocery markets, the only way I can abide it is to breathe deeply and wish all of us well, continuing to move slowly, mindfully, and kindly through space.  I go inside and find some steadiness.  Then I gratefully return to my little house with my loot, and happily continue to prepare the scene.
Tomorrow two daughters with their families, an ex-husband and sister-in-law, will all arrive to be together around the tree, around the dining room table, and if we can all stay in the moment, we will treat each other with loving care and gratitude.  We will dine on duck a l'orange, cracked crab, macaroni and cheese, beautiful roasted winter veggies, and elegant green beans, because you absolutely must have green in your grand dinner.  It just adds that little zing of color! Homemade desserts will be forthcoming, and the choices of wine(s) will be ample -- a little champagne, or rose, or white, or dark purplish red, because red is always perfect in the winter time.  And what would Christ or the Buddha say about this voluptuous feast?  I'm pretty sure I know just how they would partake, but what would they think of this  excess of tastes?  I think I will try to remember this question tomorrow when we all sit down to contemplate my culinary offerings...
I think I will try to return inside tomorrow as much as possible, and remember the inherent goodness of myself, and of all who gather around and fill my little house with family.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Mag! Love your new blog, and the backdrop image. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts today, as I tread similar waters of togetherness with many selves :)

    May your Christmas Eve be filled with peace, and joy, and mindfulness :)

    marguerite
    http://bit.ly/g8KfWB

    ReplyDelete