My Elephant Friends

My Elephant Friends
Amboseli elephants

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Lost in Venice

I came back to this city I have loved ever since I lived in Italy some 50+ years ago in order to truly see it without the static of thousands upon thousands of other visitors.  Winter time was the time, I told myself, because no one in their right mind goes to northern Italy in the thick of winter, the grey, relentless damp, bone-chilling winter where all seems bleak and sad and lonely.  I have been here 5 days or so now, and I have had my bones chilled, I have been lost frequently, and I am hugely happy to be here. It occurred to me that I wasn't the only one who had this vision to have Venice for myself.   First it was just the Japanese tourists running about, then the Europeans, and I said to myself:  everyone should have their chance to do this, to see this mysterious city as completely as possible.  It is a city beloved of the world, after all...Why so beloved?  Is it in fact the possibility that amidst all this watery beauty we can get lost again and again and it truly doesn't matter?  That in the act of getting lost, we are finding something really TRUE, which is OURSELVES.  We are brought back to ourselves.  Many of us go through our lives believing that knowing where you're going is what is really important;  in fact this is all just the mind attempting to feel in control....If we just breathe into the experience and let go, our mind rests, and it doesn't really matter whether or not we are lost. Besides, there is so much here that is hugely beautiful to look at -- the light hitting the waters of the small canals, the sparkling drama of shop windows, the light casting its warmth upon the cold stone buildings, the citizens of this city going about their lives in their irrepressible enthusiasm and animation, the stark beauty of the gondolas piloted by the guys in black (it is winter, after all) as they slide through the black/green waters --that arriving at any destination at any particular time ends up being pretty unimportant.  I do feel saturated by beauty here ... my senses expanding to bursting almost ... I am grateful for the chance to bathe myself in this beauty and feel my heart's immediate response. 
There is a lot more to say, of course, and there are images I want to offer up, but there is still plenty of time to do this.  For now, since it is late on a Saturday evening after a long day of walking, always walking, I will say "buona notte"!

No comments:

Post a Comment