My Elephant Friends

My Elephant Friends
Amboseli elephants

Saturday, December 20, 2014

The Gift of Music at Grace Cathedral


Prayers in the Air at Grace




Last night I noticed that it was warm at Grace Cathedral as I sat for two and half hours listening to the Messiah.  I do this every Christmas time - I go to Grace and listen to the American Bach Soloists sing and play their hearts out in this magnificent gothic structure, surrounded by thousands, music lovers and those bound to tradition, all sitting on hard pews, all dressed up in dark holiday attire, all relaxing and breathing together as Handel's magnificent music washes over them.  The faces of the soloists shone with a pleasure and sense of inhabiting the words of devotion in this oratorio.  The musicians mostly smiled as they stroked their ancient violins and cellos... 
Devotion and trust and good will.   Christ was all about good will, wasn't he?  Treat others as you wish to be treated.  See yourself in others...  He would have been gratified that this country was about to reach out to the heart-ful and suffering people of Cuba, I'm sure of it.  And that our black president had worked hard to make an equitable health system in this country.  And that people were baring their souls about the unjust violence perpetrated against young African American men. And that countless unnamed people give their time and their resources to help the hungry, the dying, the vanishing wildlife on the planet.  There is some goodness in the land.  I don't know whether they are the "10,000 Joys" or not, but we can see our humanity rising to meet trouble.
We were told this performance was being recorded and urged to maintain quiet as best we could throughout, and of course what happened part of the way through was I had to cough.  A hideous tickle bubbling up in me.  Deep breathing didn't help.  A woman dressed beautifully in black and red who sat next to me offered me a little tin of round candies.  And those lovely little morsels did the trick.  As I said, it is about trust and good will.  Christ was a human being - now more alive for me than he ever was when I was younger - who believed in the essential goodness of man, of ALL men.  And he was a humble man, too, who dedicated himself to teaching his fellow human beings and bringing them from the darkness of ignorance into the light.  Much like the Buddha, really.  The music of Handel in his Messiah, of Bach in his Passion of St. Matthew or his Mass in B Minor, offers us a musical canvas that shows what this generosity of heart feels like.  We hear and sense the joy of believing, the sadness of cruel loss, and the hope that we're all capable of having lives of beauty and goodness.  As I think I said in my memoir when I was writing about the influence of JS Bach, he showed me what the love of God felt and sounded like through his music.  And for that I will always be grateful.

I am moving now from an angst-ridden, anxious feeling that I didn't like December and dreaded the enforced togetherness of holiday celebrations where we need everything to be perfect.  No, we know that everything cannot be perfect -- we sweep the floor, wash the dishes, feed the cats, light the candles, and breathe deeply, touching that openness of heart that we're all capable of.  And then everything is fine.
I wish love and peace to all in this fragile and beautiful time...

2 comments:

  1. love to you dear Mag. What a beautiful post. I'm glad you spent time in such a profound setting, and let the music carry you and embrace you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, loved that music touched your spirit and soul in such a positive way!
    Music has always been very important to me, connecting me to thoughts, emotions, ministering to my spirit.
    Indeed Jesus was fully human, but also fully God. He was the greatest example of how to treat humanity, with humility, compassion and deep love; Jesus was all about relationship.
    "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and all your strength. The second second is this: Love your neighbor as yourself. there is no greater commandment than these." Mark 12:30-31
    This season is about the birth of Jesus; He was God's gift to us as showing us how to love and live out this earthly life; a life filled with love and compassion.
    Yes, there is good in this world and we all need to be reminded of it for there is so much evil and darkness that is perpetuated that we forget.
    Loved it and love you!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete